Friday, August 18, 2006

Counting Sheep


Bret (ie. Mr. Bryan) crawled out of bed at 6:30 am and my eyes awoke to filtered sunshine peeking thru the fog. Since I’m near-sided and wear contact lenses I have to grab my glasses to see my way around. I sleepily headed towards the office at the back of the house and stood adjusting my eyes to the early morning. You can see the beautiful grape arbor from the back window and the west field from here. Everything was quiet and as I stood enjoying the scene before my eyes what do you think should appear?


The last thing I expected to see was a neat little line of lambs marching across the garden towards the front yard! It took a second or two to register that this wasn’t a dream and then I was running upstairs calling to my two young cowpokes, Leanne & Matthew, to come quickly because the sheep were making an organized escape!

So with everyone grabbing shirts, boots, coats, and scrapping the sleep from their eyes we ran outside. Leanne was the first one out taking the dogs with her to make sure the sheep didn’t head towards the road. Matt soon followed as did Papa and then I came carrying the most important sheep catching tool of all…a fish net. Don’t ask me why but it looked big and Matt was going to use it when he went fishing and I thought, well, I don’t know what I thought. It was early and I wasn’t thinking too straight. What a site we must have made! But Praise God we herded these jail birds back to their pen without too much trouble. By the way the electric fence works great, Bret tested it by mistake. It sure woke my hubby up in a hurry!


I then saddled up sweet Haley and headed out to count the sheep and make sure we weren’t missing any. Praise the Lord for all His sheep were accounted for. We then rounded up the little one who needed some medicine for his sore. Matt handled the web fencing with expertise and Bret held the sheep while Leanne played nurse and applied the medicine. The sheep are so cute. I know I said that in the previous blog but it’s true. They may not be the smartest creatures on earth but they are cute!

Soon we were off counting cattle (just to be safe) and finishing up animal chores before heading in for a well needed cup of coffee and a piece of toast with jam and some fruit. After a few showers we were able to sit down and enjoy reading 1 Corinthians 7 and Proverbs 23 and 24. The Lord refreshed our spirits and gave us some sweet time in His word to strengthen us for the day ahead. We learned to apply our hearts to wisdom and to seek after righteousness. Just as He cares for His sheep so we are learning to care for the sheep of Bradrick Family Farm. It takes work but it is a joy to see all their sheep safe and sound. I know the Lord feels the same way about us too. May we all walk in the safety of the Lord and seek refuge in His perfect will.


Mrs. Bryan and fellow wranglers of Montesano

No comments: