Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Ahoy Mates!

Yes, you heard right. I start this blog with a hearty ahoy because of our recent experience of canoeing down the Wynoochee River. We enjoyed fishing on the river so much that we decided a nice canoe ride down the Wynoochee would be just the ticket for a time of relaxation after a long day of chores on the farm.

The Bradricks graciously loaned us the use of their canoes while they’re away and I’m afraid we took full advantage of their wonderful offer. After figuring out the logistics of such an adventure we decided that Captain Bryan and the kids would go on the canoe ride and I would drive back to the farm to make them a delicious dinner to greet their triumphant return. So with lots of rope in hand we proceeded to tie the canoe to the top of the van. Sounds simple enough. Of course, with the Bryan family ordinary tasks do take on gigantic proportions. So with rope and more rope and then some more rope (just for good measure) the canoe was finally secured for the next hurricane or a drive to the river, which ever came first. We all hopped into the van and we off to find the perfect place to unload our precious cargo.

After driving 5 miles up a road that seemed to be heading along the Wynoochee we finally found a spot that lead down to the river. With canoe and crew dropped off and a kiss and a wave the good canoe “Grace” set sail for a leisurely drift down the serenely cool water of this enchanting river. I barely made it to the van before I heard a short scream and squeals of laughter. No doubt their fun had already begun!

I drove back to the farm with the purpose of making a rib-sticking dinner for their return to home port, knowing that these fine old deck hands would be thirsty and hungry from their grand adventure. I prepared the casserole and the salad and I even had dessert ready for their return. As I puttered around the house I began to notice the time. Do you remember the old “Gilligan’s Island” television show? The theme song went something like this “…the crew set sail that day for a three hour tour, a three our tour. The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost, the minnow would be lost…” Well, three hours had passed and the Minnow or I should say the “Grace” had not returned.

Now I’m thinking that five miles down a river should take a couple of hours at most including scenic stops along the way. Yet, my fearless crew hadn’t returned after three hours so that was about the time that I began to imagine all sorts of ridiculous things. I could see the men on the Titanic going down bravely with their ship. I saw dear Leanne standing on some island in the middle of the river awaiting rescue from some passing ship. Wait a minute, this was only a river and not the Atlantic Ocean and I was pretty sure there weren’t any icebergs in the river! Realizing that my imagination was allowing the enemy to bring worry and fear into my heart, I began to pray. Just then the phone rang and it was Bret (aka Mr. Bryan) saying, “Hi honey, didn’t want you to worry, we are fine, the trip is taking longer than we realized so it’s a good thing I brought the cell phone along. It’s also a good thing that I wrapped it in a Ziploc bag because we’ve already flipped over twice!” I was not relieved by that statement. “Where are you? Is everyone alright?” I asked in a not so confident tone. He replied in a much more confident tone, “Oh we are fine. I’m not sure where we are but I do know we are at a spill dam and we have to portage the canoe around the dam. Hit a log once and flipped over and then we got too close to some overhanging blackberry bushes and we leaned too far to the left and fell in again. But Matt saved Leanne’s sandals and the paddles. We should be home soon.” With relief I praised God and then asked, “But how did you know the Bradricks phone number? I didn’t think you had it with you?” “Oh, I didn’t have it but Matt found it written on the oars!” Praise God again!

I felt better until another hour went by and then I began loose confidence in the Lord again. Soon the phone rang and my dear husband is saying in a not so confident voice, “Hi, uh, I’m not sure where we are because we thought we would be home by now. Do you think we could be on a different river? Could you check and then call me back?” Well, needless to say, that was the one thing I never even considered. Suddenly, my imagination is running wild with visions of the Grace and her crew sailing straight into Grays Harbor and out to sea! I race to the internet to bring up some maps. Of course, I don’t even know the street that I dropped them off on and I’m endlessly pressing the west button on Map quest to see if I dropped them off on the expressway to the Pacific Ocean. Five minutes later I hear, “Hi mommy”, at the back door and I realize its Leanne and the rest of the crew from the Grace. After lots of hugs, laughter, stories, more laughter, and passing out of towels Leanne shows me a small log they found on the river that had been chewed by a beaver. “Matt rescued it twice for me!” she exclaimed. I was so proud of my son. My men not only went down with the ship twice, they raised her twice, and they saved my daughters sandals and her chewed up stick. Can’t ask for better memories than that! What heroes! By His grace we are saved – Halleluiah!

May all your seas be smooth,
Captain and Mrs. B and crew

No comments: